Boys Soccer’s Home Opener against East Central Ends in 1-1 Draw

Casey Regruth, Staff Writer

Seymour’s first home game of the season ended in a 1-1 draw against East Central.

The first half ended in a 0-0 draw, but East Central had been threatening the Owls’ throughout the first half. The Trojans took 6 shots, forcing freshman goalie Will Smith into making 4 saves. It was a tough first half for Seymour who only mustered 4 shots, none on target.

The Owls were unable to stay healthy during the game, losing 3 starters to injury. Junior captain Cameron Cox left the game early in the first half to a knee injury, and Carter Hendrix and Tsubasa Kato both went down in the second half with lower body injuries.

First blood was drawn by East Central, scoring only 9 minutes into the second half. The goal was similar to the goal conceded by Seymour last Saturday against Jasper. Junior Brady Spangler beat goalie Smith to the ball and calmly slipped the ball into the far corner. The Owls equalized less than 90 seconds later with a header by senior Josiah Blackerby.

Seymour had plenty of chances in the final 20 minutes, but they were unable to break the deadlock.

Due to weather, JV only played one half. No goals were scored for either side although Seymour took 14 shots and  enjoyed the majority of the possession.