Football Team Loses Jackson Bowl, Drop Second Straight


Carson Carpenter, Sports Co-Editor

It was perhaps the biggest game of the year for both the Seymour and Brownstown football teams. Starting from a slew of events Friday morning, both schools had a build-up of plenty of tension. There was an estimated total of over 6,000 people in attendance, making the atmosphere all the more exciting.

The first quarter was mainly just a slug-fest between both teams, with there being only one score in the quarter. The score would come off of a 63-yard run by quarterback Derek Thompson of Brownstown, who found a hole and took off racing for the end-zone.

The second quarter started no different than the first, with Seymour’s defense doing their job and forcing a Brownstown punt, which would slate them at their own 6-yard line. This didn’t seem to be a problem for junior running back Chandler Drummond, who would receive the hand-off and split some defenders to take it all 94-yards to the house. The Braves answered with a lengthy drive that saw them go for it on fourth down from inside Seymour’s 10-yard line.  Thompson would get his second score of the game with a 1 yard rush from the goal line. No team would score again and Brownstown entered the half with the lead 14-7.

The Owls received the football to begin the half but were soon forced to punt after an incomplete pass on fourth down. The Braves wasted no time upon getting the ball back and their drive only lasted 3 plays when would break free from Seymour defenders and take it 57 yards to the end zone. They missed the PAT which made the score 20-7. The Owls couldn’t put anything together on their next drive and were yet again forced to punt. Brownstown’s drive would result in another touchdown, this one coming from a 10 yard run by Sam Huber. They would make the PAT and the score was now 27-7 and would remain this for the rest of the quarter.

The 4th quarter would start with a punt from each team, but the Owls would capitalize off of Brownstown’s punt. QB Brendan Smith found receiver Drew Vehslage for a 36-yard touchdown. This was a huge boost for the Owls, who were now only down two possessions instead of three. After an illegal block in the back penalty against the Braves, they found themselves on their own 27 yard line. Thompson would somehow do it again, finding a hole and taking off racing for the end zone. The 73 yard touchdown put the Braves back up by 3 scores. Seymour still had time to work with, and kept fighting. After turning the ball over on downs, the Owls forced a punt out of the Braves and started their comeback with just a few minutes left. Smith would find the end zone, taking it in himself from the 1 yard line. After a failed onside kick, the defense played their part and forced a turnover on downs and started their drive with just 2 minutes left. Smith would find Vehslage again on the other end of the field, this time for 25 yards. There was still hope for the Owls, but another failed onside kick allowed Brownstown to kneel the clock out and take the win. The final score was Brownstown 34, Seymour 28.

The Owls will look to bounce back in their game Friday night at New Albany.