Hoco 2019

Seymour High School seniors Aiden Goen and Chloe Criswell were crowned homecoming king and queen Friday night during the Jackson Bowl game at Bulleit Stadium in Seymour. Dylan Trimpe

Ellen Zabor, Staff Writer

The week of September 23-27 was quite hectic and full of events for Seymour High School. It was homecoming week with different days bringing different themes. Monday was decade day, Tuesday was twin day, Wednesday was frat day, Thursday was tie dye day, and Friday brought the battle of class colors.

Starting the week off, many people participated in the first ever Dance Marathon Corn Hole Tournament! Avery Ragon and Alyssa Perry represented the junior class in the championship against Mr. Reasoner and Mr. Longmeier. Avery said, “It made my week very entertaining.” I also asked Avery what made corn hole enjoyable and her response was “I liked the competitive environment. It was fun to play a game that I enjoy with one of my best friends and it is always fun to raise money for the kids.”

Following the corn hole tournament Friday morning, the Powder Puff football began. Powder Puff football is a flag football game competed by a team of girls from each grade level. The game kicked off with the sophomore class battling the junior class. That game concluded as the sophomores were outscored throughout the whole game. Next, the freshman class competed against the senior class. This match was very close all the way through, but, it ended with the freshman class losing a tough loss against the senior class. Last, was the championship match battled by the juniors and the seniors. This game was close all the way through, but the seniors ended up taking the first place title for Powder Puff 2019.

After each powder puff football game with the girls, tug-of-war went about with the boys. The same bracket was used for the tug-of-war matches, as the freshman class took on the senior class and the sophomore class competed against  the juniors. These matches went by very quickly as the juniors and seniors won once again. The championship was then on the roll, as the juniors took on the seniors. The championship ended with the seniors winning again.

The moment everyone has been waiting for; the Seymour Owls Football team took on their rival, the Brownstown Central Braves. Before the game began, the Homecoming Court of 2019 was announced. Freshman candidates nominated were Brooke Trinkle, Hunter Heckman, Phoebe Skidmore and Alex Schlatterer. The sophomore candidates nominated were Shelby Holt, Will Cottrill, Ellen Zabor and Gabe Baker. The junior candidates nominated were Montana Crossman, Ryan Elmore, Chloe Hudson and Gavyn Stagnolia. Finally, the senior candidates nominated were Chloe Shepherd, Jackson Nay, Chloe Criswell and Aiden Goen. Each candidate nominated walked out and got announced, before the queen and king were crowned. The queen and king for Homecoming 2019 were Chloe Criswell and Aiden Goen.  And then finally the game kicked off at seven between the two rival teams. Each team battled through the game, but the Owls came up short a touchdown. The Owls lost with a final score of 28-34.