The Lady Owls start off strong

Camryn Sterling, Staff Writer

As challenges arise, the Lady Owls soccer team has found a way to persevere. With a 2-0 win over the Batesville Lady Bulldogs and a 5-0 win over the Salem Lady Lions, the team is embracing every moment they are on the field.

The soccer team has several returning players that have made a tremendous impact on the program. Their leadership on the field and the energy of the newest members is a recipe for success.

The team competed in its season opener against Batesville on Saturday. The Lady Owls constantly pushed to get one in the back of the net, but it took time and patience. With the first half ending in a tie of 0-0, the team determined their plan of attack. Senior, Kylee Nowling, had two assists to get the Lady Owls on the board. Addi Chandler, senior, started the scoring by hanging an upper ninety shot and Haley Westfall added another upper ninety goal. The Lady Bulldogs had chances on goal, but it was nothing the Owls’ defense could not handle. Ellen Zabor had six saves which led to a shutout.

The Lady Owls JV team fell to Batesville, losing 0-2. Goalie Jessica Hougland had six saves and goalie Elizabeth Trueblood had three saves. Their next opponent will be the Columbus North Lady Bulldogs Saturday, August 22 at 10:00 a.m.

The second game of the season took place on Monday night for the Lady Owls. The team had a 5-0 victory over the Lady Lions of Salem. Within the first few minutes of the game, Addi Chandler (2), Alyssa Perry (1) , and Lillie Wessel (1) all scored and the team took advantage of an own goal making it 5-0. Alyssa Perry, Brooke Trinkle, and Kylee Nowling all had assists. Two saves from Ellen Zabor and three saves from Jessica Hougland led to a win over Salem.

The Lady Owls prepare to face their next opponent, Columbus North, this Saturday, August 22, at Columbus North High School. Kickoff will be at 11:30 a.m.

The team is looking forward to a successful year! Be sure to check out the Lady Owls as they compete in their first home game on August 27 against Scottsburg. Make sure to bring your mask!!