Indiana’s mask mandate now lifted

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb wearing a mask in Kokomo, Indiana.

Caley Monnier, Staff Writer

On April 6th, Governor Eric Holcomb’s mask mandate was lifted statewide. The former requirement is now only a suggestion, with the exceptions of certain counties and businesses choosing to keep their own mandates.

For example, the city of West Lafayette has decided to keep face coverings a requirement. Along with being one of Indiana’s most densely populated cities, it is also home to Perdue University and its 40,000 students. Mayor John Dennis will uphold the decision until the end of the school year and will reconsider the advisory over the summer.

Marion County, housing Indianapolis and the most populated county in the state, has also decided to keep the mandate. Marion County’s Public Health Director, Dr. Virginia A. Caine has given three requirements for the mandate to be relaxed: a county positivity rate lower than 5%, 35 or fewer cases a day, and at least 70% of the county’s population vaccinated. Until these are achieved, Indianapolis and its neighboring cities will continue to mask up.

Businesses across the state will still have their own freedoms to require masks as well if they deem it necessary.

As Coronavirus cases slowly rise once again in the state, it’ll be hard to tell the effects of this lifted mandate. Looking at it optimistically, with the introduction of Coronavirus vaccines, cases should continue their overall decrease in the long run. If you would like to know if you’re eligible for the vaccine or would like to know where to get it, head over to ourshot.in.gov for any information.